Job Title: Environmental Education Naturalist
Starting Wage/ Salary: $60.00/day
Location: Boone, Iowa
The Y Camp of the Des Moines River Valley is hiring naturalists for the resident outdoor education program. This position is seasonal part-time/ variable hours. This position is open until March 9th , 2019 or until filled. As a naturalist you will lead groups of school age students through various environmental and outdoor program such as stream ecology, survival, and night hikes. You will gain valuable experience in classroom management, lesson design, and environmental education. On site housing is available.
- Demonstrate and teach activities.
- Conduct program in a fun, positive atmosphere.
- Know emergency procedures and be able to demonstrate them.
- Report specific problems or needs to supervisor or designated staff person.
- Teaching value-based, leadership classes including team building, low and high ropes, and climbing wall.
- Teaching value-based, environmental education programs for schools and general public. Grades 4-8 participate in residential programming including ecology, geology, birds, history, survival, and evening programs.
- Assist in developing new programming. Care and cleaning of birds of prey.
- Other duties as assigned. Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or designated staff person.
- Demonstrate and support the objectives of the Association as embodied in the mission statement and values.
- Ability to read, write, and perform simple mathematical functions
- Online New Employee Orientation (available in the YMCA Training Program)
- Online New Employee Safety Orientation (available in the YMCA Training Program)
- Y Leaders Orientation (available in the YMCA Training Program)
- American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications or equivalent certifications approved by the YMCA (available in the YMCA Training Program)
- American Red Cross Blood Borne Pathogens Training or equivalent training approved by the YMCA (available in the YMCA Training Program)
- Undergraduate degree in biology or related field.
- Prior experience teaching children and adults.
- Current drivers license.
- Enthusiasm, poise, leadership, and flexibility.
- Visual, auditory, and verbal ability to communicate effectively with people and monitor property and activity
- Ability to perform light to moderate physical activity
- Ability to adapt to variety of working conditions
- Good communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to maintain control of area even when distracted by noise or activity
- Ability to teach/train participants.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Attend trainings and/or courses as required by the YMCA
For more information or questions contact Kyle Beach, Outdoor Education Director, email@example.com, 515-432-7558 ext. 224