POSITION: A seasonal environmental education internship with Mitchell County Conservation Board in Osage, Iowa. Seasonal Naturalist position will offer opportunities to actively participate in environmental education (EE), public communication, natural resource interpretation, and habitat management.
EMPLOYMENT PERIOD: 24 weeks, starting in March of 2021 and ending in September of 2021 (specific starting and ending dates flexible, depending on schedule of applicant). 40hrs./week (non-routine week, Tues. – Fri.). Hours will average 40 hours per week and may include weekends, evenings, and holidays.
SALARY: $12/hr. with no benefits
DESCRIPTION & DUTIES: Seasonal will assist the Mitchell County Naturalist with the development, planning, organization, and presentation of environmental education, outdoor recreation, and conservation programs, as well as special events to the general public, schools, and other groups.
Other major duties include:
- Planning, assisting, and leading summer day camps
- Designing interpretive and promotional materials – digital media skills (video editing, social media, website development, etc.)
- Create and improve displays in the Milton R. Owen Nature Center
- Writing articles and press releases
- Nature center maintenance and animal care
- Publicity events and public information activities
- Other special projects can include, nature center host, water quality monitoring, resource management activities, professional workshop opportunities, and other related duties as assigned. Seasonal will receive valuable practical experience and continuing education during employment.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS: Must be 18 years or older with a High school graduate or GED equivalent and either be enrolled in or have a degree in one of the following fields: natural resources, wildlife biology, environmental education/interpretation, teaching, general biology or ecology, environmental studies.
- Possess a strong work ethic and a sincere interest in environmental education and working with youth
- Valid driver’s license, maintain an acceptable driving record, and can get to and from the work site
- Ability to work independently and in a group and be a self-starter
- Ability to effectively apply knowledge and common sense to solve problems and/or achieve work objectives
- General knowledge and interest in outdoors and natural resources.
- Effective communication skills – This includes written word, public speaking, and computer programming.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of conditions, use small hand and power tools, and routinely lift up to 50 lbs. Balancing, stooping, kneeling, and lifting are sometimes required.
- Ability to lead groups with various outdoor educational or recreational activities such as kayaking, fishing, nature hikes, etc.
- A background check is required
DEADLINE: Open until filled.
TO APPLY: To be considered for employment, individual must submit an official Mitchell County Job Application Form, Cover Letter, and Resume to:
Chelsea Ewen Rowcliffe, Naturalist
Mitchell County Conservation Board
1879-3 Highway 9
Osage, Iowa 50461.
For more information and/or to request an application & job description, call (641) 732-5204 or email email@example.com. Applications can also be picked up at the Mitchell County Conservation Board office or from the Mitchell County Courthouse. Applications can be found online at https://www.mitchellcoia.us/employment-opportunities-2/
Mitchell County Conservation Board is an equal opportunity employer