POSITION TITLE: Summer Naturalist
REPORTS TO: Naturalist
HOURS OF POSITION: 20-30 per week, some weekend and evening hours
STATUS: Temporary, Part-Time; June 1-August 13, 2 positions available
WAGE: $10 per hour
DATE REVISED: January 2021
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: Summer Naturalists work alongside our full-time, year-round Naturalists to plan and lead programs and activities for Indian Creek Nature Center Creek Camps and other summer educational programming. Summer Naturalists will gain valuable, practical experience in environmental education, program development and leadership.
- Assist and lead a variety of outdoor, experiential, science and nature based Creek Camp activities for children ages 4 to 12 years old.
- Occasionally assist and lead youth and adult programs including but not limited to: summer group field trips, public programs, special events and birthday parties.
- Prepare materials, set up facilities, and clean up after programs.
- Support the development of camp curriculum for a variety of camp ages and themes.
- Assist in camp management. Help set rules and boundaries for campers alongside coworkers.
- Perform first aid if needed. Ensure the safety of each camper.
- Follow all policies and procedures set by the Nature Center.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Energetic, professional demeanor, positive attitude and motivation. Experience and passion working with children outdoors. Basic knowledge of local ecology, biology, and natural resources. Good written and oral communication and leadership skills are a must. Adept at identifying and solving problems. Ability to share and teach information. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds unassisted. Ability to stand, walk, sit, kneel, balance, climb, operate hand tools, work in a variety of weather conditions, and have the ability to follow written and oral instructions.
GENERAL PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: Constant (67-100%) outdoor work in a variety of weather conditions. Constant (67-100%) walking, stooping, kneeling, twisting, crouching, pushing and pulling. Constant (67-100%) reaching, standing, grasping, finger dexterity. Constant (67-100%) talking and listening to people in person or over the telephone. Occasionally (34-66%) viewing computer screens and other types of close visual work. Occasionally (34-66%) lifting and carrying 25 pounds. Occasionally (34-66%) operating mechanical machinery including climbing to mount equipment, pushing, pulling, and grasping with hands and fingers, using feet and legs to push pedals, and ability to react quickly. May occasionally (10-33%) be required to travel off-site to complete duties.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Eighteen years or older with a high school diploma or GED required. Love of working with and teaching children in the outdoors. Some college coursework in natural resources, biology, outdoor recreation, interpretation and/or environmental education preferred. Previous interpretation, environmental education or summer camp experience is preferred. Ability to pass a background check. First aid and CPR certified (can be completed upon hiring).
To apply email a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position open until March 31, 2021 or until filled.
John Myers, Executive Director
5300 Otis Rd SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52403