Conservation and Environmental Excellence Awards Program
This joint committee with the Iowa Conservation Education Council serves to recognize and award outstanding achievement in conservation and environmental education.
The Awards Programs serves many functions. It recognizes those efforts to promote conservation and environmental education, rewards those involved, and publicizes and expands awareness of the excellent programs happening across the state. It's also useful in gaining local support and recognition as well as self-promotion.
Award Categories Are:
- Aldo Leopold Environmental Education Award: For Lifetime Achievement in EE Excellence and Leadership
- Bohumil Shimek Environmental Educator Award: For Outstanding Efforts by an Environmental Educator
- Chris Holt Youth Environmental Education Award: For an Outstanding EE Program for Youth or Conducted by Youth (Preschool-Grade 12)
- “Ding” Darling Environmental Education Award: For Outstanding EE Program or Event which Informs and Educates the General Public
- Frederic Leopold Environmental Education Award: For outstanding EE efforts by Business, Industry, or Labor
- Ada Hayden Conservation Education Award: For Outstanding Efforts to Educate About Preservation, Land Management, or Natural Resource Conservation
- Sylvan Runkel Environmental Education School Award: For Outstanding Whole-School EE Program
- Outstanding Environmental Education Program (2 or less interpreters & 3 or more interpreters): for excellence in EE programming by an agency or institution
- Outstanding Interpretative Print Media Award
- Outstanding Interpretative Non Print Media
- Outstanding Volunteer Award
Submission deadline is usually December 1 of each year. Electronic submissions are required. Nomination forms are short, not to exceed three pages. Self-nomination is permissible. Award winners receive their plaque during ICEC's Winter Solstice Educator Workshop in January or at another special presentation.
Committee members meet (or vote via e-mail) in December to discuss nominations. Other duties may include contacting winners, some publicity, and presenting awards.